FAQ - How do I transfer a Domain to eApps?
Posted by Richard Lingsch on 02 January 2007 02:31 AM
A domain "transfer" is a misused term in the hosting industry. It really means transferring the administration of the domain registry information from one registrar to another. Renewals of a domain are also administered through the Registrar. |
TRANSFER PROCEDURE - transferring a domain TO eApps' registrar (if you already paid for the transfer in your initial order for eApps hosting, please skip steps 1, 4 and 5.
PLEASE NOTE that it is not possible to transfer a domain that is less than 60 days old!!!
If you need registry info for your domain, go to http://www.internic.net/whois.html or www.domaintools.com
1. Obtain the EPP code - this is a code that is available from your current Registrar. You can usually obtain it when you log in to the registry records, or you may have to obtain it from whoever sold you the domain. This code is a safeguard to ensure that the domain is not stolen from the rightful owner. Our system will require that you enter this code when you initiate the transfer order.
2. Unlock the domain - a second safeguard is the domain lock. You must unlock this domain at the current registrar.
FOR UK DOMAINS - important, you must change the tag holder at your current registrar to ENOM. The domain will not transfer unless you change the tag holder to our registrar's tag. PLEASE DO NOT change the tag to EAPPS.
3. Verify Admin email - you must ensure that the admin email, as listed at the current registrar, is an active email address that you can respond to. Some registrars have a passive approval and some require confirmation. In any case, the email must be valid.
4. Create the Transfer order - log in to the eApps Portal - http://portal.eapps.com, and click on Order > Transfer Domain to start the process.
5. Pay for the transfer - You must pay for the transfer order to initiate the transfer. Once you pay for the order the transfer is initiated from our Registrar to the losing registrar. If you have followed the procedure correctly, the domain should transfer within a few days.
PLEASE NOTE: once the transfer is submitted to the losing registrar from our registrar, eNom, there is NOTHING WE CAN DO. We have no standing with the current registrar. We can not contact them on your behalf. You must work with them and/or the entity that sold you the domain to ensure that the transfer completes.
6. Change your DNS - WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR DNS IMMEDIATELY!!!!!
There is no need to wait for the transfer to be completed to start having web and mail traffic flow to your eApps hosting service. You should change your DNS at your existing registrar to point to the eApps DNS servers: